Wednesday, May 1, 2013

CSW Unveils a New Gaming Table


I recently (finally) finished my new gaming surface! It consists of four 4-foot by 2-foot panels that can be assembled in a whole bunch of configurations: two 4x4, 4x6, or 4x8. Each panel is a sheet of three-quarter-inch plywood with a nice facing.

We mounted strong magnets on the panels to hold them together in any configuration. I have two big sheets of tie-dyed fleece to spread over them. The fabric pattern is surprisingly lifelike and does a great job simulating terrain. And it's cheap! So far I have green and brown.


The panels can rest on any existing surface to make a great gaming table. These pictures show them in a 4x8 setup on a 6-foot folding table. I Also have a 3-foot square table that would work for a 4x4 table, as well as my 7-foot dining room table.

Here is a shot with the brown fabric and some random bits of terrain from my terrain box.


It's a relatively easy project, that gives you a flat, level, stable surface to play on, and the panels store easily under a bed or in a closet between games. I can't wait to use it for our next game night!

-- Josh, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member

5 comments:

Guy said...

What size/kind of magnets did you use?

Unknown said...

We used 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" thick magnets with countersunk holes for #4 screws. They were purchased from K&J Magnetics:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX082CS-S

iemattias said...

Looks awesome! What is holding it up? Folding table?

styx said...

Show some detail of the magnets and the fittings.

Unknown said...

In those images, it is being held up by 6 foot folding table. Most of the time, I expect to use my dining room table as a support. Any sturdy table will work, though. I took close up pictures of the routed holes both with and without magnets. They will be added soon.

The magnets are very powerful, and 2 on each side of each board is more than enough to hold them together very well.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.