Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Weekend Project: 50-cent Skeletons from Little Wars


Among the backpack full of miniatures I dragged home from Little Wars was this batch of metal skeletons. They're old Ral Partha sculpts, and I plucked them out of a big box of random lead. The pricetag: 50 cents a pop. Since they were so cheap, I decided to see how quickly I could paint these guys up.

The weather was nice here in Chicago last weekend, so in between bouts of landscaping and weeding I was able to get these guys primed, painted and based. I used a tan-colored primer, drybrushed GW Bleached Bone, then picked out a few details like spears, bows and quivers. I used Minwax Polyshades Tudor to dip the entire figure, which provided instant shading and protection. Finally, I hit the skeletons with the lightest drybrush of white to pick up a few details.

The total actual time spent laboring on these guys was about 90 minutes over the course of three days...the biggest chore was waiting for the various paints and varnishes to dry! Here's the finished product.


Not bad for a total investment of $3.50!

-- Patrick, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member

1 comment:

iemattias said...

Pretty nice! I live in Chicago, and if I didn't happen to live with my head under a rock, I might have actually come out to little wars. Reading over your last few posts has really made me wish I had, but 50 cent minis caps it. That is a must-do for next year.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.