Friday, April 26, 2013

Review: Rust Forge 28mm Shipping Crates


While at Adepticon, I picked up three modular shipping crates from Rust Forge LLC. I think they were $12 each normally, but I took advantage of the 3-for-$30 Adepticon special. These are great, inexpensive kits that go together quickly and can be built many different ways.

Here are the sprues -- you can see that they are simple, yet effective.



Here is an image of the flip side of one of the sprues. You can see the different build options.


The sprues were made from a harder plastic than I was used to. They had some flashing, but were fairly easy to clean up. They didn't come with instructions, but the assembly is fairly simple. I started with the bottom, attached a side panel, the other side, and then the top. I snapped the end panels in after that. Plastic cement held the whole thing together.

One minor inconvenience was that the longer pieces all had a slight curve to them. I took care of it by using a ton of rubber bands around the unit while it was drying. For the cost, I didn't think this was a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.

The first kit I built with doors at both ends. I did not glue the doors in place so I could open and close them. They work fine as long as you're careful, bu it's easy to pop them off accidentally, so I may decide to glue them at some point.

I built the second one with doors on one side, and the "refrigeration unit" back panel.


The third one had doors on one side and a standard corrugated back panel. Here is a shot of all three units with some minis (in various states of completion) for a size comparison. From left, we have a 40k Tau Stealth Suit, a Warmachine warcaster, an Infinity figure, and a robed 40k Space Marine.


I am really glad I picked up these pieces. They should be quick to paint, and look great on the tabletop. They will work for many game styles. I am planning on painting them up and weathering them using some techniques I learned from Les Bursly. Look for them on the table in future CSW games!

-- Josh, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member

7 comments:

styx said...

Those I may have to pick up!

styx said...

Is there a website BTW?

Patrick W. Rollens said...

Just a dummy site with no content...we'll see about distributing this fellow's contact info on the blog, so players can reach him about these products.

Precinct Omega said...

Aren't those the ones made by the guy from Proxie Models?

Unknown said...

As I understand it, Yes, Proxie Models did the casting for Rust Forge.

They should be commenting soon with more info and contact details.

david bromley said...

Those look excellent, and not too shabby on price! I stii have my connex PDF files, but these look like too much fun to make. I may have to get a few !

10x28mm said...

Fantastic. I must get... many.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.