Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Khurasan's Caiman APC Ready for Battle


Last weekend I embarked on an ambitious project -- paint up one of the two huge 28mm Caiman APCs that I had acquired second-hand from fellow club member Jon. These gigantic resin vehicles from Khurasan Miniatures are a glorious love letter to the classic APC from "Aliens"  -- which is why they're rarely in stock from Khurasan's web store these days. The vehicle is more than 7 inches long from nose to tail light, and solid resin through and through.


I wanted them to paint up to match my Pig Iron Productions Heavy Infantry figures (pictured here), which are among my most favorite "hard" sci-fi figures ever. They have a chunky, gritty aesthetic which will look perfect alongside the lean, predatory lines of the Caiman APC.



For this project, I decided to try my hand at painting some digital camouflage. I only did one camo color because 1) it was exhausting doing all that geometric brushwork freehand and 2) I was terrified I'd mess up if I started in on a second color. Thankfully, I think the single-color camo approach looks decent. Don't look too closely or you'll see my blobby squares and rounded rectangles!




I've been reading about the new near-future ruleset called No End in Sight, and I think with a few tweaks it could work well for our sci-fi skirmish games. Maybe this hulking behemoth will take to the field one day soon?

-- Patrick, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member

2 comments:

Karl Paulsen said...

It's really pretty. A shame my Ventaurans are going to have to blow it up.

Anonymous said...

Wow when the page loaded I actually said "Hot damn that's nice", because it really is. Great vehicle and paint job!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.