Saturday, August 2, 2014
Terrain: Post-Apocalyptic Scenery Bits
When we decided to take a break from our summer fantasy campaign to play some post-apocalyptic skirmishes, I knew it was time to crank out some terrain projects I have been thinking about for a long time...
This is an O-scale building by Woodland Scenics. It is a fantastic piece for gaming, with multiple levels, plenty of room for figures, and some fantastic details. Technically, this is still a project for me as I haven't done anything beside remove it from the box -- it prepainted and ready to go as is. But I am going to weather it at some point.
What's that? Electric lights?! Yep, it came with lights installed, ready for a model train setup. I wired them up to batteries and a power switch, and it is a great effect on the table. I want to add lights to some of my other pieces!
You might recognize this piece of terrain if you've ever played the game Fallout 3. Jon helped out by creating the bomb out of an easter egg and some legos. I mounted it to the base from an old Spawn action figure and painted it. After the weathering was done, I poured some unhealthy looking green water effects to complete the piece.
This piece marks the first time I've used printed details. I simply printed the symbol on regular copy paper, cut it out, and glued it to the bomb before weathering.
This is the first of 2 concrete pipes I made from PVC scraps. I started working on these things over a year ago, and I'm glad I finally finished them!
This first pipe is HUGE, and filled with the same greenish water as the bomb piece. Some of it is spilled out on the base as well.
The second piece is much smaller, but it is just the right diameter for a model to move through it. (Although that water doesn't look very safe!)
The spill on the base was an accident. I tilted the pipe to make sure that the water flowed through the whole thing, but i went a little too far. I am glad, though because I think it adds to the piece.
This last piece was inspired by the show LOST. It's a scratch-built hatch! Where does it lead? Nobody knows!
We got these pieces on the table for a game last week, so stay tuned for a battle report. I think they contributed to a fresh take on our standard post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland.
-- Josh, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member
2 comments:
Nicely done with all the scatter and that building looks great!
all winners, well done
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.