Friday, May 22, 2015

Waterfront Sections with Hirst Arts Blocks


After making my previous batch of walls, I found that while I had used up all the basic block pieces, there were still quite a lot of pieces left in the Hirst Arts batch that Tim had given me. Sorting them out, I found a big pile of arches and some cobblestone floor pieces.

I already have a few bridges, but I've been thinking about adding some more waterfront or canal details to my medieval town terrain, so I got to work.

First, a few simple canal sides.



Here are a few more, this time with arched edges.



This last one I'm pretty proud of. There was quite a pile of these long arched pieces, so I flipped them over and made a sewer culvert. Just the thing for a party to escape into! And who knows what kind of monsters could crawl out of such a portal?



It should nicely break up the monotony of the water's edge and also block line of site a bit. It could also be used to create a patch of difficult terrain, which isn't always readily available in traditional town layouts. Culverts can be awfully slippery after all...



I'm considering adding a bit of water with some epoxy, but that will have to wait until later. Here's a couple of more possible waterside layouts.





The painting process was the same as before. Some dark tan housepaint (added a bit of black and brown craft paint to the mix) drybrushed with Delta Ceramcoat "Bamboo" and then sealed with Galeria Matt Varnish before adding a bit of flocking.


This pretty much exhausts what I can think of doing with this particular batch of blocks. Unless we do some casting, I probably won't be making any more Hirst Arts constructions anytime soon. That's probably a good thing, since I've got so many other projects in the queue (note the Reaper "Dragons Don't Share" ruins in the background), but this has definitely been a nice diversion from my usual figure and terrain projects.

-- Karl, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.