Thursday, June 12, 2014
Barbed Wire from Plastic Army Men Playsets
I picked up barbed wire stands a couple months ago at a game store auction. They're from a plastic army men kit similar to what you might find in the toy section of your typical drugstore. They were half-finished, with two pieces glued to 16 large tongue depressors, with sand on the base.
I'd been meaning to create something similar with some fencing I had, but this project was already halfway done and I probably spent less than $5 to complete these barbed wire strips.
I sprayed them heavily with Krylon Fusion Camo Flat Black, which bonds to soft plastics. Then it was a simple matter of dark and light brown drybrushing on the sand, dark metallic gunmetal dry brush on the fences and a bit of rusty orange (it came out looking brown, but whatever…), followed by a matte spray.
Even though they are all identical, it's a nice useful bit of terrain for any of the sci-fi or post-apoc games we play, and with 16 of them, I can surround just about any large bit of terrain I have.
-- Karl, Chicago Skirmish Wargames club member
2 comments:
Very effective looking and a bargain to boot!
Hey there! Thanks for the inspiration.
I dropped by specifically to let you know I nominated you for a Liebster Award, as part of my Liebster, here: http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2014/06/not-leapster-liebster.html
This post also has the rules of acceptance. Carry on : )
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.